Thursday, April 17, 2014

Looking Back, Looking Forward

It’s been awhile since I wrote one of these and I've missed it.  The last post I wrote was dated February 27th. I was in the midst of trying to find a job and had really long hair. It took me nearly and entire month after that to find one and without the outpouring of support I received from my family and friends I would not have been able to keep going.

I am beyond thrilled to let you all know that I got a hair cut and a job! I was hired back on at Actors Equity as: The Associate of Finance and Administration. Equity is a great company to
See, short hair.
work for and I couldn't be happier. They are taking care of me and I can finally take time and money to take care of myself.

Now you are probably wondering the exact same thing I’m wondering. What’s next?. Short answer: Exciting Things. Long Answer: More time and ability to start doing thing things I want to do without the worry of not being able to do them finically, artistically, or otherwise.

Because I work for Actors Equity I cannot do any kind of work in Theatre, and I am totally ok with this. The reason is because it is a conflict of interest for the union and also kind of illegal on the federal level. See, working for a union has its own set of rules that it has to abide by. Its kind of like working for a non-profit in that we don’t exist to make a profit; but additionally we exist in service of our members. Union employees can’t impact the ability of their members to find work, positively or negatively. For me to work in theatre, even non-union, it would be seen as impacting our member’s ability to find work.  So I am making a personal sacrifice to forgo working in theatre for a while, but without my passion for theatre I wouldn’t of been able to make it this far.

So the question still remains: What’s next? At my core I am a story teller. I love hearing stories, seeing stories, reading stories, and creating stories. This past year has taught me that last one. I like writing. I love it in fact. Don’t get me wrong, it’s a terribly frustrating process and there is a reason why writers become alcoholics, but for me it’s totally worth it. Now that I am able to afford to live and work in New York I am able to take time to really focus on my writing, which leads me to my next exciting project…

I am partnering with artist Janet Sung and together we are going to create a 5-page comic proposal to send out to major publishing companies. This was a project I started almost a year ago while I was living in Chinatown. The idea for a story about a young Korean girl from New York City who accidentally overthrows the government in an online video game, with the help of her blind brother, hit me and started streaming through my head. I almost couldn't keep up taking notes on my iPhone with my large fat thumbs as images were flashing in my head. When I finished typing I promptly put my phone away and forgot about the entire thing. I came back to it a few weeks later I was trying to figure out what medium this story would fit into. Theatre was out, the scope was too big, film was out, the costs were too prohibitive, I was (and still am) working on a novel and I didn't want to try to do two novels at the same time. Then the idea to make it into a comic hit me and once I started envisioning it on colorful pages of paper I knew that was were it was meant to be.
AWESOMENESS

I then promptly forgot about the entire thing again and went about having an awesome summer with Michael Stamp, the boy wonder. A few months ago I dug out the story and started working on it. Creating a plot, researching comic publishing, and organizing character arcs. I read lots of example of comic scripts (basically comics without any pictures) from writers like Frank Miller, Alan Moore, and Robert Kirkman, to get an idea of the format. I decided to take Kirkman's approach and create a 5 page comic proposal along with a cover letter to create a sort of “proof of concept” to send out to publishers.

Then I put out my art net to find an artist who I thought would be able to capture what I was envisioning and through the graces of the cosmos and craigslist I found Janet. Once I saw her art I knew she was the one. Seriously, she is amazing. Check out her stuff: janetsungart.com. She was eager to jump onto the project and loved the story. Right now she is working on preliminary character design and pre-production things. My goal is to have a finished 5 page proposal completed by august to send out to major publishers.

It’s exciting to see a project start to come to life. It makes me excited for what the future may hold. All I know is right now I am happy and without this job I have none of it would be possible. But more importantly without the love and support you and everyone sent my way I wouldn’t be possible. Until Next Time.

"I think that we need mythology. We need a bedrock of story and legend in order to live our lives coherently."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Widgets