Monday, June 3, 2013

Resolution

Hey. Guess what. Its June. You know what that means? The year is half over Also, less importantly, Michael's birthday. Wish him a happy birthday on June 24th.

Anyway back to the main point. The year is half over. How are your New Year's resolutions coming along? Yeah I'm gonna call you out on them. Have you been doing them? Did you forget? What happened? Well there is good news! There are 6 more months starting now for you to get them all done. Here were my resolutions from my To Create Blog post:
1: Direct a play/musical
2: Write a screenplay
3: Continue Blogging

 Lets start with the first one: Direct a Play/Musical. I directed Analisa veleZ's play Ain't No Such Thing As Free Pizza in April, so I think that counts right? Yeah. CHECK! That was an awesome learning experience and I was continually humbled by getting to work with such a
Ain' No Such Thing As Free Pizza
 fantastic, beautiful, and talented cast, and a playwright that will be famous some day, if she keeps writing (La verdad mi amigo!). It was an amazing expereince and I am gcontinually grateful for being allowed to work on it. 

And now I am directing my second show, Pygmalion, which is also self-produced by my production company Stamp Brothers Productions with the funds we received from our very successful first fundraiser. We are currently entering our second week of rehearsals and are set to go up July 12th, 13th, and 14th at the 133rd Street Arts Center in West Harlem. It's my second directorial experience, but also my first as a co-producer with my brothers. We are having tons of fun figuring it all out. Keep checking in for updates on that, and come see it if you can! It's completely free.

Ok, moving on to number two: Write a screenplay. Well, this one hasn't happened. But! If you remember my January blog post I'm Writing a Musical, you will remember that I asked if it was ok to change the resolution to write a musical in stead of write a screenplay. No one objected, or perhaps no one read that post, so I changed the resolution! and I wrote a musical.

But I have a confession to make. I actually wrote two musicals. The nameless first one I sent out for people to read and give me pointers on, and that one is still in development, but the second one I wrote in secret. I spent long countless hours laboring over a typewriter because typewriters are a lot slower so it takes long countless hours to type on... and I wrote a musical based off of the Greek Tragedy by Euripides: Hippolytus (or in the day Hippolytos Stephanophoros), and I am announcing here and now that it has been picked up for a festival at the Cabrini Repertory Theatre and will be performed this August in New York City. Adam O'Dell is writing the music for it, and my brother Michael is Music Directing it. Its called Marley: A Musical Tragedy. And here is the first draft of the poster designed by Kristen Anhalt.
So yeah! Pretty exciting stuff. Stay tuned for more about that. But I would say that goal number 2 is complete. CHECK

And My last goal: Continue Blogging. Well. Yeah. CHECK.

So, the key to goals is simple: Set ones that you will want achieve. This might seem obvious, but it's true. All of these things I wanted to do. I don't want to become an Olympic swimmer, so why would I make myself swim every day? That benefits no one. I want to be a director and maybe a writer (we'll see...) but, I am setting goals that I want to achieve, and so achieving them is possible, and makes me feel good when I do. And now that the year is half done, and my to-do list is all clear, I got 6 months to just cruise and relax. :P UNTIL NEXT TIME.

"You know, I rather like this God fellow. He’s very theatrical. A little pestilence here, a plague there... Omnipotence...got to get me some of that."

1 comment:

  1. I actually made the resolution to write the musical I was thinking about writing... this also counts. Thanks Joey!

    ReplyDelete

Widgets