Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Keeping Up

OK, what happened to April? Seriously? Who stole April?

Alright, Life have been super busy, so this lame excuse for a blog post is going to be a quick update for everyone on what I have been doing this past month.

April 4th is when the fundraiser for SnappyTitleHere officially ended. We were not successful in raising ten thousand dollars, so Craig and I parted ways on our artistic endeavor and I took the share from my people that donated and I am starting my own production company: Stamp Brothers Production. Yes, that’s right; Michael, Zach, and I are starting a production company. Zach and Mic and I have pretty much been in constant communication about this for the past month. We are working with the IRS and a Lawyer to acquired 501(c)(3) status, so hopefully very soon we can start accepting tax-deductible donations and apply for grants. Our official launch will be May 20th, but you can check out our facebook and our website, both still being developed, as we get ready to start that. 

As we speak, The Stamp Brothers are gearing up for their first production, and my second as director. We plan to produce George Bernard Shaw's Pygmalion this summer in New York. My vision for it is to have a "give what you can" outdoor performance of it in a NYC Park throughout the month of July. There will be lots of dancing and music, so basically a party every night. Im still in search of a Choreographer and a Stage Manager and we are having auditions Next Tuesday May 7th, so things are really gearing up for all that!

Two weeks ago I successfully opened my first play as director, Ain't No Such Thing As Free Pizza in New York at The Cabrini Repertory Theatre in Washington Heights. The actors were amazing, the audiences were great, and everyone loved Analisa's play. The play festival that I directed this play for is a competition, so there is a chance that our play could move on to the second round, but we won’t know for a while. I believe in the work and that we stand a good chance, so stay tuned for more updates about that.

In a week I will be flying home for the first time in almost a year. I’m really really excited about that for two reasons: 1) That I will get to see all my friends and family again and 2) That I will finally get to eat good, home-cooked, Iowa food again. It's one of those things you don't know you miss until its gone, but there is nothing like it over here. Everyone is into healthy food, vegan this, organic that, pasteurized blah-de-blah. Give me meat loaf. Give me mashed potatoes. Give me corn-on-the-cob dripping with butter. Give me fresh lemonade and some peach cobbler sitting on the porch enjoying that cool summer breeze and watching the dogs run around. That’s all I really want. So yeah, I can’t wait to come home.

The Boy Wonder.
Then! The most exciting part, Michael will be living with me in New York this summer! That's right, the Boy Wonder is nearly done with his first year of college and he is going to join me this summer and help get Stamp Brothers Productions on its feet by Music Directing Pygmalion and helping out with other projects. Its going to be an awesome summer for sure.
  
I just recently moved again, this time to Washington Heights. I now have an official lease on a 1 bedroom apartment. It’s nothing huge, but it’s a room of my own. This means that I am not longer living in Chinatown, sad to say. I shall miss the dirty streets, the humble people, and the smell of the fresh fruit and fish markets... But these times, they are a changing, so it’s time to move. And with that, I think it’s time to cue the music, until next time!!



(I'm not really moving to the east side, but it feels appropriate)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Widgets