Saturday, February 23, 2013

Amazing Weeks


It has been an amazing couple of weeks. Let me attempt to replay it for you:


The Underbelly of Midtown
Two Weeks ago the show I had been Assistant Directing, Off the Kings Road, opened at Theatre for the new city. It was weird finally being in the directors role because once the show opened, there wasn't really much left for me to do… Stef and I let our bird spread its wings and fly away, so to speak. So we had a wonderful opening night and the show was received with favorable reviews.

One week ago I had the privilege of seeing the Broadway production of Edward Albee’s Who’s afraid of Virgina Wolfe and not only that, but because a friend of mine knew the stage manager I had the honor of being taken backstage after the show and introduced to the cast. I got to meet Tracy Letts ( a Pulitzer prize winning playwright) Amy Morton (a tony nominated actress AND Clarke Alum) and also Carrie Coon and Madison Dirks.

Three days ago I was approached by a friend of mine who asked me to direct her play at the upcoming Venus Theatre Festival, an all woman’s play-writing contest. I, of course, said yes and we began the exciting process of collaboration. The playwright is Analisa Velez, she is awesome and super passionate and wants to infuse her play with that passion, along with the passions of many other cultures. She wants to use poetry, and specifically slam poetry, throughout her play. In addition to this she also wants to use a lot of soul/R&B/Gospel music. She and I have been, literally, geeking out over the past few days watching slam poetry videos on youtube. Last night we even went to an open mic night poetry reading at The Labyrinth Theatre. We are both super stoaked about this show because its her first play ever written to be performed and its my first play ever to be directed. We want it to be off the hook with passion and soul and truth about life. The working title we have right now is: There’s No Such Thing As Free Pizza. Its going to be ratchet.

I am now two weeks into the fundraising campaign with snappytitlehere theatre company. Our donations have slowed down a bit and I'm honestly a bit nervous we wont make it. But there are still 40 days left to donate, and there are a lot of people who believe in me and believe in Craig, so I think we can make it. My mother suggested sending out personal, physical, letters, so I am going to be sending those out soon and hopefully that will help with the campaign to launch this theatre company. In case you haven’t, check us out on facebook and give us a like, and also check out our brand new webpage: snappytitle.com

Looking both ways...
I am still working full time at actors equity. Not much really to report on that front. They are paying me well, and I get health insurance. Yay.

I was talking with my dad over the phone recently and we talked about how when I first moved out here I was so nervous that I was going to fall flat on my face and fail, that the goal was to make it to December. Once I reached that, the goal was to make it to April. Having met the first goal and steadily marching towards the second, I think its safe to say I will be here for awhile. I absolutely love this city. It is hard, and bitter, and full of angry people and I love it. It also is beautiful, caring, and full of secretly lovely people. Suffice it to say, I heart NYC. 

Keep being awesome! Until Next Time!!  

“I said I was impressed, Martha. I'm beside myself with jealousy. What do you want me to do, throw up?” 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Widgets