Friday, December 21, 2012

To Create


I write this blog as I sit backstage during the pre-show of Restoration Comedy.  It has been a crazy week, yet again, and time is flying past me at reckless speeds. Tomorrow my family arrives in New York for a Christmas that promises to be unlike any we have had before. So look for a blog post next week chocked full of stories and experiences! But onto more pressing matters…

Today was supposed to be the end of the world. According to the Mayan Calendar and its many modern day experts, the world was supposed to end today in some sort of fiery doom. 
Now is completely useless.
Like many “end of the world” prophecies, they were proven wrong by the steady, unrelenting, march of time. The world is still spinning, the people are still going, and the sun is still shining. It wont be long until someone else steps up and declares some near distant date the actual end of the world, as had been the trend since the beginning of time. If there is one, united, ideal that we as a human race have all agreed on, its that our time here will end. We are not infinite creatures, but beings confined to a finite existence. Woah, I am getting way to philosophical here. Anyways, my point is that because the world hasn’t ended and we are about to begin a new year, I think it is time to start thinking about the future.

But before I go there,  I want to jump back to this week because I am officially done with my internship at the Lark. It is strange to think that the internship is over, because it has always been there for me since I moved here. Like an anchor, something I could depend on, something that would always be there. It was a sweet goodbye, because I had the opportunity to work with some truly amazing people, and also because it means it is time to go on to bigger and better things. Much like the philosophy of the Lark, its time to take the things I learned and apply them to my future.

And what a future! There are many exciting things coming up to look forward to in 2013! And as I sit here, backstage, before the show with Restoration Comedy, I am thinking about where I will be in a year from now. So I it is time to challenge myself, to push myself to get as much from 2013 as I can.

This past year has been amazing. In January I assisted in taking Clarke University's production of Pinter's The Caretaker show from Dubuque Iowa to Ames Iowa for the American College Theatre Festival. In May I graduated from Clarke with a BA in Theatre. Then, I spent my summer interning at The Grand Opera House working on Annie and Sweeny Todd, two similar plays about love, redemption, and the color red. In August I moved to New York, and here I am! I have stage managed a show here, assistant stage managed a show, interned, and held many and sundry odd jobs around the city. All in all it has been a good year.

I read a very compelling article on Cracked.com recently about the idea of creating versus consuming. What I took away from the article were many ideas that have begun to change the way I am looking at things. While consuming things like movies, books, tv shows, comic books, and theatre does make me feel happy, creating is 1000x times more fulfilling. As I look back on the 2012 I realize that the amount I have created versus the amount I have consumed is drastically out of balance because I spent most of my effort consuming things. My biggest goal for 2013 is to create and to seek out opportunities to use my creativity. So I am going to set a few goals, and I expect you all to hold me to them! Hopefully then, in a year, I can look back on this blog post and see if I have truly done what I have wanted to do. It’s easy to set goals at the beginning of the year, and then forget about them after a month, but it wont be so easy with all of you making sure I do them. My hope is twofold: that by sharing this list with hundreds of people that you can all make sure I achieve what I wanted to, and to also inspire you to do the same and make a list of your own! Make a list of goals that are specific, and then achieve them! Its simple :) Oh, and to make it really challenging, they should be goals  that cause you to create something, not to consume something. Going on a diet doesn’t count, and working out more doesn’t count, because you are consuming, not creating. If you want to have a good year, create something.

So here is my list:

1: Direct a play/musical
            It’s time to start right? I mean it is what I want to do with my LIFE. I spent 4 years in college with amazing talented theatre friends and I only directed one thing? Epic fail on my part. SO my first goal is to take some initiative and direct a play/musical.

2: Write a screenplay
            Its time to confess. Ever since starting this blog I have found that I actually enjoy writing. I have no clue if I am any good at it, but its fun. So, to further this newfound passion, I want to challenge myself to write a screenplay. I have a list of ideas for movies that I have been keeping since I was literally 12 years old and filming movies in the back yard with my brothers. I want to challenge myself to make one of these ideas into an actual screenplay. Then, when I do, I am going to share it with all of you devoted readers, and get your feedback on the pros and cons of the piece. Where it goes from there? Who knows? Maybe it gets turned into something, or maybe it sits on my hard drive…

3: Continue Blogging
            It’s time to get real. This blog has kind of become a staple in my life, and I don’t want that to change. I am happy that people are getting enjoyment out of keeping up with my adventures, so I want that to continue. If I forget to blog, please kindly yell at me. Thanks.

That’s all the goals I have right now, but I think they are good ones. Again, I encourage you all to make goals of your own! And make them a positive action of creation. Its easy to consume, but it takes guts to create. So take a risk and create something this next year! Until Next Time!


 "Do the math: How much of your time is spent consuming things other people made (TV, music, video games, websites) versus making your own? Only one of those adds to your value as a human being."



2 comments:

  1. 2 things to comment on:

    1. That is not the Mayan Calendar. That is the Aztec calendar, however archaeologist believe it is an adaptation of the Mayan calendar. A pyramid is the concrete example of their abstract thinking and celestial observations. "The Pyramid of Kukulkan at Chichén Itzá, constructed circa 1050 was built during the late Mayan period, when Toltecs from Tula became politically powerful. The pyramid was used as a calendar: four stairways, each with 91 steps and a platform at the top, making a total of 365, equivalent to the number of days in a calendar year."

    http://www.webexhibits.org/calendars/calendar-mayan.html

    If you want to see something cool, check out the snake that is formed on the steps of the temple on the equinox.

    2. I'm so glad to read your comments about consumerism. I word it differently...to be a producer rather than a consumer, but the heart of the matter is the same. Bravo!

    ReplyDelete
  2. "plays about love, redemption, and the color red" lol

    ReplyDelete

Widgets