Friday, November 23, 2012

Chinatown

In my last post I had said that I have some exciting news. Well here it is: I'm moving to Chinatown! This historic section of New York, located in the center-southern part of Manhattan  is home to the :"largest and oldest enclave of Chinese people" in the western hemisphere. I move in December first, and I could not be more excited. The room is on the fifth floor, approximately three times bigger than the one I am in now, and it has a wonderful view of the Empire State building. 

I am excited for this move for many reasons. Cheap Chinese food every day. Commuting times cut in half. Living on the island of Manhattan. Cheap Chinese food every day.

Some of you are probably wondering, Why am I moving to a new place? What was wrong with Sunnyside? Well it all started with Sandy. The Hurricane. Thanks to Sandy, everyone in my apartment and I were confined together for 48 hours. None of us even stepped outside. Because of this, my landlady and I discovered we have different living habits. And after a heated argument about the use of hand towels, Ramen, and a microwave, I decided it was time to move out. We just weren't getting along anymore.

Once Sandy had dissipated and  things settled down in New York, I started looking for a new place. I went to craigslist and began navigating through the hundreds of postings for a room to rent. I hated the process because hardly anyone ever replied to my emails, and it was completely overwhelming because of the volume of posting to sift through.

 I started my search looking for a place in Sunnyside. I liked the neighborhood, so why not stay here? Well there weren't any rooms in my price range here, so I broadened my search. I looked in Astoria, a nice, young, fresh neighborhood just north-west of Sunnyside. I had better luck with finding a room in Astoria, but in the end it, all I found was a lesson: When there is an apartment you like, seize it. I found a great room for a great price, but I left the viewing with nothing but a "you'll hear from me" from the landlord, because she had multiple people coming to view the room throughout the week. When I called the landlord back the next day she had given the room to someone already. I was flabbergasted. I thought there were more viewings? I thought you weren't going to decided until the end of the week? What did they have that I didn't have? It was weird, but I was actually slightly emotionally impacted by it, because in my head it didn't seem fair. But, what I learned was that if you see a room you like, don't wait. Seize on it because someone else with more determination might take it from you.

So with more confidence and determination, I moved my sights to Brooklyn. I was a little nervous about finding a room here because Brooklyn has always scared me a bit. It just seems like a rougher part of New York. Touting some of the highest crime rates, there are many places to avoid in Brooklyn. But, it also has some very affordable rooms to rent and some very beautiful neighborhoods. So I responded to some ad's, viewed some rooms, but none of them really stood out to me in the way the Astoria room had. They were too far, or too small, or too sketchy, or windowless. Having grown weary of apartment searching, I gave up for awhile and resigned to the fact that I might be living in Sunnyside for a bit longer.

Then, out of the blue, I got a reply back to one of the emails I sent on a hopeful whim to a room to rent in Chinatown. Here is the exact email text: 
"Hi:
How are you? I just found your mail from trunk mail. Sorry about that for lately reply! Do you still interest the room in Chinatown? "
I was astonished! Having recovered my email from her trunk mail (by which I think she meant Junk mail) Mrs. Lee actually emailed me back and asked if I was still interest! I replied yes, immediately (thank you 21st century smart phones) and set up a viewing the next day. I went to see the room and absolutely loved it. It was big enough so that I could house friends when they come and visit, the location was perfect for my bike commuting, the price was right in my range,  and it had a window with a view, something that is secretly an important factor for me in a room. I wasn't going to loose another amazing room to someone else, so I told Mrs Lee right then and there that I wanted this room. She was a little surprised at my suddenness,  but was happy to oblige. So I signed some papers, paid the deposit, and she handed me the keys. It was one of my happiest moments in New York so far. I had worked hard and gotten something I wanted with determination and perseverance. It was so rewarding, and so exciting and I can't to move into the new place.

That's my story for this past week. Exciting, right? I am sad to have part ways with Sunnyside, it has been great in introducing me to New York. But I am super exciting to get to explore this new area of town, rich with Chinese history, culture, diversity. Oh yeah, and cheap Chinese food. Until next time!


“So be sure when you step, Step with care and great tact. And remember that life's A Great Balancing Act. And will you succeed? Yes! You will, indeed! (98 and ¾ percent guaranteed) Kid, you'll move mountains.” 
 Dr. SeussOh, The Places You'll Go!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Widgets