Tuesday, October 30, 2012

I Think I Hurri-can!


I find that I am stuck between a rock and a hard place... I am having trouble in writing this post, and yet there is so much to write about! I closed my show in Jersey City on Saturday, I have been working more with the production at The Flea, and we had a hurricane hit New York! Its has been a crazy weekend and yet I am unable to put it all into words! Gah, where are you muses? So forgive me as this post will probably be more of a ramble of thoughts than a well formed, well articulated, blog posting like my college professors would want it to be.

First off, a disclaimer: For those of you considering moving to New York, don't let Hurricane Sandy try and persuade you not to come. Hurricanes rarely ever come this far north, and when they do they have lost all their energy in the traveling, so they rarely ever amount to anything. But this one was different, and even though it landed south of New York in the Philadelphia and New Jersey area, we still had lots of damage and flooding up here.  But hurricanes of this magnitude are rare, so don't let Sandy sell you something false, New York is hardly ever hit by extreme weather. 

My part in the hurricane was rather incremental. I spent most of it indoors reading comic books and catching up on tv and movies. Sunnyside, where I live, was left rather untouched by the whole thing. We had strong winds and lots of water being tossed about in the air, but that was about it. But the best part of it all was the love and support that was sent to me all my friends and family. It was an absolutely wonderful experience to know that everyone was sending their love to the east coast. My thoughts go out to those without power and to the workers who have to take on the monumental task of getting the MTA back up and running. and hopefully they will soon because I am running out of things to do!


To further add to the random rambling of this post, here is a panorama of Times Square I took on my way to work:


Yup, a Microsoft Store.

Like I mentioned earlier, the show I was working on in Jersey City had its final performance this past Saturday. It was a fantastic learning experience and I shall miss everyone I worked with. But this is New York, and there is no time for rest! I am already working my next show at The Flea and I am especially excited to begin going to all the evening rehearsals there. We had our first full stumble-through this past Sunday, and it is looking really good. If you are in the New York area at all, it is a must see. 

Lastly, I would like to tell the world that I now have a Part-Time job as an Audition Monitor for Actors Equity Association! I am super excited to begin working there, and plus it means I won't have to worry about going broke, and I won't have to join the coast guard! YAY. So to everyone out there know this: Perseverance is key to success. When I was turned down for those two potential jobs, at the same time, a few weeks ago, I had a depressing weekend. But I ate a bunch of ice cream, got over it, and moved on. I doubled down my efforts and received loads of help from friends and my wonderful boss, and it is starting to pay off. I am by no means at the end of my journey here, infact I have finally just found my feet after the long jump over, but it means I can start walking, start climbing, and being achieving what I set out to do. So, my advice to anyone who is moving here, or just trying to find work in this economy: Persevere. You will achieve what you deserve through your efforts. Until next time!


"And now we're free to be number one, 
morning isn't far away I had a dream we were holding on, 
and tomorrow has become today, become today."
-Scissor Sisters, Fire with Fire

No comments:

Post a Comment

Widgets