Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Floppy Disk


I have discovered that I enjoy interviewing. I enjoy traveling to various locations, meeting interesting people, and having engaging conversation.

I recently had two interviews that couldn't have been more different. One was for a touring stage manager job, and the other was for an administrative office position with the title “Tour Coordinator” (ironic that both jobs involve touring?). I don't want to go into too much detail because I am still waiting to hear back from both of them, and I don't want this blog to be the reason I didn't get hired. But I do have some advice for anyone who is going through this “getting a job” thing. Be yourself. The last thing you want is a job where you can’t be who you are. You will become very unhappy very quickly.

One of the reasons I love interning at the LARK is because, even though it is an office environment, everyone is allowed to be themselves. My boss comes to work dressed as a skateboarder, the Artistic Director wears Jeans, while others choose to where dressier clothes. There is no “dress code” because there doesn’t have to be. For me, this is the kind of place I want to work at because there is less stress on rules and more on ideals. Others might prefer a more formal setting but regardless, knowing what you want will make you happier with your work in the long run. Don’t do a job just for the money.

Something you all may or may not know about me is that I am kind of a computer geek.
This game was amazing in its day.
Like, very seriously. Ever since Dad brought home our first computer, a Compaq with a Windows 3.1 Operating system, a CD drive, CRT Monitor, Floppy disk drive, and Trackball mouse, I have been hooked (Still have that computer by the way.). We even had one of the original forms of the commercial internet, known as Prodigy. I spent many hours messing around on that computer; installing floppy disk games, playing Wolfenstein, surfing the 1995 internet. I even remember the first time I figured out that you could change the wallpaper and the little icon image, which for Windows 3.1 was a pretty big deal. Around that same time too, our school purchased an old lot of Apple Macintosh Plus’s for the young students to use and learn on, which in 1996 was pretty good for an old Catholic school. So suffice it to say, I know computers. Computer technology always seems to find me and there is something about the simplistic complexity of computers that I have always been able to just “get”. I have built myself a computer, I have built my brother Michael a computer, and when Zach gets back from the Marines I will build him one to. I don’t understand it, but I just get computers and they just work for me.

That being said, I had to leave my giant desktop system back at home because traveling to New York with it just wasn't a viable option. So for the past few months I have been doing all my computing on a tiny 9-inch netbook. It’s been a challenge. I like to push my computers to the limits in their capabilities. I bought it just to have to surf the internet and type up word documents. I didn't really factor into the equation that I would need something to process my digital photography though…I know I should be proud of the fact that I got Adobe Photoshop running on this small thing at all, but when I made it crash by processing 200 RAW photos at the same time, I got slightly frustrated. Now when I shoot I take as few pictures as possible because for every one photo I take, it takes me about 10 min of processing time on this dinky machine.

Windows 95 was a great operating system, and also where I began learning how to tinker and change things. But Windows XP was truly the golden years of the windows operating system. It was a reliable and fast system that was relatively easy to learn, and it looked good too. I love messing around with old XP systems. Recently my landlady was throwing out her old computer and my heart leapt! "Something to tinker with", I thought! So I snatched it up and starting messing with it, which proved to be short lived because, as it stands, I don’t have a computer monitor for it yet… my next goal is to find one for free, because I am cheap. But when I plugged it in for the first time, it started playing some very strange new age music; which was weird because I didn't have any speakers plugged into it yet… I don’t know what my landlady had on this machine but I know in these next few weeks I am going to have fun finding out!

In other news, the play I have been working on for the past few weeks in Jersey City opened this past weekend! We are officially performing now (time went by so fast), so come and see it if you are in the area.

It’s been a slow week for me otherwise, so there is not much else to report about for now. But exciting things are on the horizon! More job interviews, seeing Broadway shows, and don’t miss The Stamp Family Christmas special in December! Until next time!

"This above all: to thine own self be true,
And it must follow, as the night the day,
Thou canst not then be false to any man."
-Polonius. Hamlet, Act 1, Scene 3 

1 comment:

  1. oops, the comment is under the wrong post...but you are a very smart young man, you undoubtedly already figured out the human error.

    ReplyDelete

Widgets