Sunday, August 19, 2012

One Step


Psychologist Abraham Maslow coined the idea of the hierarchy of needs, which has since become known as the Maslow Pyramid. He studied what he considered to be the most successful human beings, such as Albert Einstein, Jane Addams, and Eleanor Roosevelt and created his theory of how to be a successful human. The theory of the Maslow Pyramid is that a person must build their pyramid from the bottom up in order to be the best you you can be. You must first have food, water, and shelter before you can have family, health, and property, and so on. Logical, right? If you work on this psychological pyramid out of order, it can have negative results just like a real pyramid! For example, if a person starts working on the Self-Actualization before they have secured the basic needs of food and water, it could result in disastrous effects. Just like how the Egyptians never started building the top of the pyramid before the bottom else it would fall on their heads. I hope you are starting to get the pryimad imagery here. Take for example child stars who have quick and sudden rises to fame, and then disastrous downfalls. This theory would conclude it is because they achieved self-actualization before building a firm self-esteem and confidence in themselves. An interesting theory, that’s for sure…

I have been thinking a lot about this pyramid because I find myself becoming anxious in this city. It is filled with so many successful creative people that it can actually become detrimental to one’s self-confidence. If other people can succeed, why am I struggling? Maybe I don’t have what it takes; maybe I’m not good enough. But then I think on the pyramid. I know I have established, at least, the lowest level: I have food, water, clothing, and shelter. That is more than a lot of people can say, and is enough to be thankful about. Then next step I need to be worried about completing is employment before I can start worrying about trying to be successful and creative. I just need a job, something to pay rent. One step at a time.

Speaking of jobs I have and am having many interviews, and I will most likely have a job or two within a week. I would love to say more but I will just wait until next week to let you know if I have secured anything. That being said, I do have a bit of advice when it comes to finding a job in this city and/or this economy. If you use craigslist or any other job-search website, like I do, get used to people ignoring you. I have sent out, and I’m not exaggerating here, somewhere in the neighborhood of 100-150 emails asking about job postings this past week alone. I have heard back from 5 of them, and 4 we’re scams. (Craigslist is rife with scams, RIFE.) Being ignored can start to wear on you. It makes you question yourself and your abilities, but my advice is don’t let it get to you, there are many reason why you haven’t heard anything, and none of which are because you are a bad person. Odds are you are qualified and deserving, the job just went to someone else who was also qualified and deserving.  It can wear on your self-confidence, but don’t let it.

In lighter news, I have been trying to take advantage of many free art opportunities. I went to the Metropolitan Museum of Art and wandered around for at least 3-4 hours. It is an awesome place. They especially have a great collection of early and late Renaissance Art, (my favorite eras of art!) although their Titan collection leaves a lot to be desired… Side note- Part of the reason I love Renaissance art is because it can be absolutely hilarious due to the large amount of art that was being produced. Like these two beauties, which I discovered for the first time in this museum :




HOW AWKWARD ARE THOSE??? And to think, someone had those hanging in their sitting rooms... And then you get amazing stuff like this:

The Harvesters; Pieter Bruegel the Elder. 1565














I also went to an art installation opening in the Lower East Side which was really cool. The artist painted 5 black lines on the floor which represented a music staff. She then installed a webcam on the ceiling and had live musicians play what they saw through the webcam. People represented the notes on the staff and the music would change as people moved about the room. It was really awesome.

Last night I saw a free production of William Shakespeare’s Coriolanus which took place in a parking lot and was absolutely captivating. I won’t bore your with the details, but here are some of the details: It was set in modern times, the roman crowd was represented by the Occupy movement, almost all of the acting was outstanding, and Shakespeare is amazing and his stories are STILL relevant today. That is all.

Until next week!








"Art done under pressure by artists without the necessary talent can only give rise to formlessness, as art is a profession that requires peace of mind."
-Titian c.1550(ish)

1 comment:

Widgets