Tuesday, July 10, 2012

The Other 7,000

In less than a month I will be walking the streets of New York. Even though I think on this often it is still surreal to me. In less than a month I will be living in a city with 8 million people, trying my hardest to break into theatre. I will be joined by many others in this quest, as likely thousands move to New York and try to enter into the theatre world.

As I ponder this thought I am reminded of the many graduation speeches across the country this year all seemed to have a similar theme: Life is Hard. Some of quotes from these speeches are: "You're Not Special"-David McCullough Jr., "You're a group of incredibly well-educated dumb people"-Aaron Sorkin, and the magnificent article by Lisa Bloom "The Most Honest Commencement Speech You'll Never Hear". Many of these speeches stressed the same ideas, the same truths: That we are not as smart as we should be, colleges are charging way more than they should be, and we're not as unique as we think we are.  While this is rather depressing, I personally find it inspiring. In David McCullough Jr.'s commencement speech he made a very profound point:
" Even if you're "one in a million," on a planet of 6.8 billion, that means there are nearly 7,000 people just like you. And consider for a moment the bigger picture. Your planet, I'll remind you, is not the center of your solar system. Your solar system is not the center of its galaxy. Your galaxy is not the center of the universe."
The reason I find all this hopeful is because now I know the limit, the boundaries of the game. There are at least 7,000 other players I have to compete against, and if I slack for even a moment, I lose. If I get down on myself I must remember the other 7,000. The world won't care if I fail, because there are 6,999 just like me that will fill the void. So I have to keep going, keep pushing for myself, keep following my dream for MY sake, because no one is going to make it happen for me.

So, what does all this mean in terms of New York? Well I am about to step into the greatest adventure of my life very soon (August 8th to be exact) and its going to take a lot of hard work and perseverance. I am going to be hundreds of miles from my family, friends, and everyone that cares about me, with at least 7,000 other people competing against me in a city of 8 million people who could care less about me. It's not going to be easy.

That's whats been on my mind recently as I am getting ready to head out there, maybe it might mean something to you readers, or maybe not. Regardless it feels good to put it out there.

So in other news, in case you didn't catch it I will be flying out of Waterloo on August 8th. As of yet I don't have a job, or a permanent place to live. I have a room I am renting for the first week I am there, which will give me ample amounts of time to find an apartment/room and a grunt job. In terms of Theatre work I have submitted 16 applications to various theatre company's in the New York area , most of which are still in the reviewing process, and I should be hearing back form them soon. So keep your fingers crossed for me!

In closing I am going to leave you with a quote from our great leader, as a beacon of hope in this otherwise depressing blog post :D


"Because as tough as things have been, I am convinced you are tougher. I’ve seen your passion and I’ve seen your service... I’ve seen a generation eager -- impatient even -- to step into the rushing waters of history and change its course." 
President Barack Obama.

1 comment:

Widgets