Monday, June 18, 2012

Mumbo Jumbo

Great stories always have great first sentences. Take these for example:
Call me Ishmael. - Herman Melville, Moby-Dick (1851)
It was a bright cold day in April, and the clocks were striking thirteen. - George Orwell, 1984(1949)
There was a boy called Eustace Clarence Scrubb, and he almost deserved it. - C. S. Lewis,The Voyage of the Dawn Treader (1952)
 Space: The Final Frontier. -Captin Jean-Luc Picard, Star Trek: The Next Generation (2364)
It was a pleasure to burn. - Ray Bradbury, Fahrenheit 451 (1953) 
The list goes on... 


Here is mine: Joey decided that in order to pursuit his dream of directing, he was going to move to New York to live and work in the greatest city on earth and learn, through observation, what it means to be a director and he also thought that the Beatles totally rock, bacon cheeseburgers are the greatest thing on earth, and that run-on sentences can get hard to read when the ideas stop connecting.


To begin with I want to credit the inspiration for this blog: jamesfollowshisdreams. When I first set out to move to New York I sent James a message to ask if he had any advice for a poor Midwestern college graduate who wants to move to New York. Being a poor Midwestern college graduate who DID move to New York, he had lots of helpful advice. This is what he first said to me:
"I know this might sound like a cop-out, but I blog all about working/living in NYC: Http://jamesfollowshisdreams.wordpress.com/ If you haven't read it, I suggest it. Not cuz I think it's the greatest piece of literature but because I give out a bunch of advice about living and surviving in NYC."
He was absolutely right about his blog being helpful and absolutely wrong about his blog not being a great piece of literature. Sure, it not slapped between two pieces of cardboard, but it is enjoying to read and  he truthfully pours his heart and soul into his writing. I highly recommend checking it out.


In addition to talking with James I have also been talking with many other people who are helping me with this transition. My list of thanks includes: Eugenia, Mrs. Waggoner,  Mr Biebuyck, family, friends, and many many others. One cannot just up and move to New York on one's own, it takes alot of help and friends. 

So by now you might be saying to yourself  "Yeah, that's all well and good, and those quotes are mighty interesting, and bacon cheeseburgers ARE awesome, but whats the point of all this mumbo jumbo?" Well my hope is that this blog can serve to inform anyone who is interested/bored in knowing about my adventures of then living and working in New York, and also as a way of keeping in touch with people.  I have no idea on how frequent these postings will be, nor do I want to promise something and then not be able to fulfill it! So check back often to see what I've been up too.


'It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out of your door,' he used to say. 'You step into the Road, and if you don't keep your feet, there is no knowing where you might be swept off to.” 
― J.R.R. TolkienThe Fellowship of the Ring

2 comments:

Widgets